Wednesday, January 6, 2010

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN "BABY LEGS" (leg warmers)


When I first got pregnant and started looking at baby clothes (I started buying them when I was only 3 months along... I bought at stores with a 3 months return policy so I could return once I found out what the sex was. I KNOW I am crazy. But I was just way too excited about all the cute stuff I was seeing! Anyway, I happened upon "baby legs." These are super cute little legging/legwarmers that are basically socks with no foot. Great for warming the legs and not having to take them off for a diaper change! Anyway, the REAL things are $12. That is just ridiculous. So I perused the internet and found a tutorial. I was able to get the idea of how to do it, but the images were less than inspiring. SOOOO alas, here is my own tutorial on how to make them! Enjoy!

Materials needed:
Thin patterned socks, or toe socks (i got mine at the dollar store).
sewing machine, or really good hands and a needle
Time needed: 1/2 a nap or less!!!! Heck you can make lots of these in 1 nap!! (aka 15 minutes)




1. cut off a 2.5-3" piece of the sock (if you are using regular socks, then this would be the section where the foot goes. just trim off the toe cap, and the heel, and you have the middle section to work with)














2. Push the little tube through itself, so that the wrong sides are facing each other.














3.Put the long part left from the sock inside the hole created by the little tube you just made. Right sides should be facing each other.


















4. Once you sew the 2 tubes together with your machine (or hands I suppose), you may want to turn the entire thing inside out and then sew it narrower if your baby has thin legs like mine does....













Turn them right side out and there you have it!!! Your own baby legs!!! Almost as cute as the little legs you are about to put them on.....

Alternative way to make these: Cut the sock and just serge the raw edge. Done.








 
Like I said ALMOST as cute as the legs you put them on:)

9 comments:

sarah said...

love these! i wish it was socially acceptable for 18 month old boys to wear them :) i need a girl!

rojalka said...

cute :)

Alice said...

She is the coolest dressed little baby girl I've ever seen.

ed and brooke said...

love this! you're too crafty, Katie. i love the other tutorials you've posted on your side bar. I need a girl to make things for!

Lesley said...

great post! she's wearing her bloomers. hoooray!

Katie said...

So cute! I've been playing around with the idea of making some for my little one. After seeing your tutorial, I think I just might go buy some socks to give it a wirl!

dana said...

very cute! Thank you for sharing with me! Love the color scheme and ruffles you have going on in those pictures :)

Elizabeth said...

These look super easy (meaning I should be able to do it) and great for a naptime project! Thanks!!!

Lenetta said...

Cute cute! I make mine by trimming a bit off the cuff - you can see how I do it here. (I'm terrible at pictures, so way too many words...) They are SO much fun to make, aren't they?