Thursday, October 13, 2011

Trail Mix for the sugar craves (sugarless)

I went off sugar (processed, honey, etc but not fruit) 3 days ago in an attempt to ease my addiction to it, as well as shed some baby weight. I did this once before (a couple months before I got pregnant with Olivia) and lost about 13 lbs in 2 months without changing a thing else (meaning I still hadn't been exercising, I was eating as much as I wanted to, and I enjoyed fun things like fries and chips occasionally).

This time I am exercising like 5-6 days a week, so hopefully I'll see a change?? I've been exercising like that for 1.5 months and I have lost exactly ONE POUND. Yes, even going off dairy and eating mostly whole/healthy foods. Nice. I hate when people say breastfeeding makes you lose weight. NOT FOR ME!!!!! I digress.

I went off sugar, but I wanted to have something to stick in my mouth in the afternoon when my blood sugar gets low and I am apt to stuff it with cake, cookies, chocolate...whatever I can find. So I made this trail mix out of things from the bulk bins at Whole Foods and my nut stash from Costco. It is D E L I C I O U S. So I wanted to share:

Ingredients:
Raw pumpkin seeds (WF bulk)---these are packed with minerals and vitamins
Sunflower seeds (hulled, WF bulk)--- again, super nutritious
raw almonds (costco--so cheap)---nutrition facts
cashews (WF-prepackaged is cheaper than bulk)---nutrition facts
walnuts (Costco)--never knew how good these were for you!!
peanuts (with skins)--- nutrition facts
raisins and currants (unsulphered--WF bulk)---nutrition facts
Goji Berries (WF bulk)---nutrition facts
**SUNSPIRE grain-sweetened chocolate chips!!! (WF-baking aisle) they are sweetened with grains, no sugar! woohoo! I didn't put a ton in there, but it does really make this trail mix seem decadent. This was the only ingredient that I felt was pricey, but $5 for chocolate chips seems worth it when you are off sugar!


I don't really know how much of each of these I put in... I just made it by throwing the ingredients into a tupperware container and make sure it was a ratio of dried fruit:nuts/seeds that I liked. This mix is so nutritious, so delicious, and satiates that mid-afternoon (or late night) sugar craving. go make it.

8 comments:

r said...

I have never commented before (but have enjoyed your blog and creative style for a while now), but I felt like I should because I know exactly what you mean about exercising, eating right, and still NOT losing weight while breastfeeding. I had the same "problem!" Hopefully it will give you some encouragement to know that once my daughter decided she was done with nursing (at 11 months), within 2 months most of the weight (about 10 lbs, 5 more still to go...) just suddenly came off.

So, I guess I just wanted to say: keep up the exercising and low-sugar consumption! Even if you don't lose weight now, I am sure you will once your little babe is done nursing :)

TheLovelyHunter said...

kudos to you for cutting out the sugar. this recipe looks awesome, and i too would be willing to pay for those chocolate chips:)

Shelley Munro said...

I'm in awe. I can't imagine cutting sugar from my diet. I have a terrible sweet tooth. This trail mix looks delicious though and perfect for those times when in need of something to nibble.

Kayelle Allen said...

I could definitely eat this and be happy. I don't care for peanuts with skins, but everything else sounds wonderful. Since hubby does love them, I'll leave those for him to nibble. ^_^

Anonymous said...

after breastfeeding three kids, each for almost two years, i completely understand about breastfeeding and weight loss. hang in there! it does eventually come off (with some effort). i do find that if i cute calories too much, my milk doesn't let down quite as fully. i wish you the best!

Unknown said...

You're not the only one! I watched weight melt off my best friends as they nursed. I mean back to pre-baby weight in 3 months, rocking low rise jeans, make you sick, weight loss. Me - 9 months!!! It took me 9 months. I dropped 5 pounds every time Baby Girl dropped a feeding, no matter how I ate or exercised.. I'm sure the diet will be good for you, but if it doesn't help as much as you hope, wait until you wean and try again.

Scotty and Chels said...

Mmmm. This looks yummy! Good for you for cutting out sugar. But seriously, no sugar? I think I'd die of sadness. You're super healthy though and your girls will benefit from it too!

mandmfla said...

Sounds and looks delicious! I am always trying
to find new snacks to satisfy our sweet cravings! I am going to try this!

You are a beautiful mom, on the inside and out!