1/2-3/4 yard of fabric (though you won't use it all) OR A Large Men's dress shirt (that's what I used)
Bias Tape 1/4" to 1/2" double fold (1 pack)-- or 3/4-1" single fold
Puffy Sleeve pattern piece (or look here on how to make one)
2. lengthen your stitch (on your machine) to a 4 or 5 and then sew one line 1/4" from each of the long sides of your 54"x5" strip.
3. pull those strings to gather up the strip.
4. trim the excess pretty close to the stitching w/o cutting the stitches.
(here is what I did when I had to turn corners)
6. I then laid it on top of my t-shirt, around the collar as I would want it to be placed.
7. Then I took a fabric/sewing pencil and outlined the outer edge (where I would want to cut the t-shirt collar off).
8. Can you see that faint line where I had sketched? (I moved the gathered piece up from it so you could see.) That is where I cut the t-shirt. note: I only cut the front, not the back, I wanted to wait until I had sewn it on to cut the back off.
9. You can do this part earlier or later than now, but I am going to insert this part of the tutorial in now. You need to sew 3 strips of bias tape into loops for buttons. Sew them on. DON'T PUT THE BUTTONS ON UNTIL THE END (I had to re-do mine).
(again disregard that I already have buttons on mine)
10. Put your t-shirt on and get a feel for exactly how you want your collar to lay and then pin it down. (or you can just sew it exactly how you drew it on the t-shirt, but I found that mine needed to be tweaked a little bit and I ended up overlapping the ends more than I had thought).
11. Sew it in place, and then put in your buttons so that they correspond with the loops.
12. For the puffy sleeves I did the EXACT same thing that I show in THIS tutorial, so I didn't repeat it. The only difference is that I bound the edges with my bias tape so that it matched the collar. (Again if you don't own a sleeve pattern, or have only a regular sleeve pattern and you want to make it a puffy sleeve, then look at this tutorial.)
FINISHED! I love mine! And if you are wondering about the random location I chose to pose, well it was because 2 seconds before there were giraffes behind me. We were at the zoo. Unfortunately they were all gone by the time I got a good shot and olivia wasn't running away....