Thursday, March 1, 2012

Petal Lamp Shade

I wrapped this lamp cord from Ikea about 2 months ago and it has been sitting in my kitchen waiting to be hung. I really wanted to go with an "industrial" look, but the cord with just a lightbulb was visually lost when hung in our high-ceilinged apartment. So I made a shade for the time being! I really have other plans for this cord in the future, but for now I think this looks great! Here's the tute:

Materials:
paper (newsprint or better)
flour
cold water
bowl
saran-wrap or press and seal
felt
hot glue

1. our about 1/2 cup of flour into a bowl (not the bowl you are molding the lampshade on!!). Using a wisk, place the bowl under a small stream of water and wisk vigorously to combine it with the flour. when you get sludgy/gluey consistancy (it will take very little water), you can turn it off and keep wisking until its smooth.

2. cover your bowl with the saran-wrap (I used press and seal, its sooo much better).

3. dip your pieces of paper into the flour sludge and remove the excess liquid with your fingers. place the pieces on the bowl, overlapping and covering it completely. do 2-3 layers

4. let dry overnight
5. cut a hole out of the top, big enough to JUST slip the plug through.

6. Cut a whole lot of "petals" from the felt (I used wool for the cream color and acrylic for the white). Mine were about 1.5 inches long.

7. hot glue them to the paper bowl, starting at the bottom and working your way up concentrically.
done!
I did hang it up, but couldn't get a good photo of it. I felt like you could see it better just sitting on the table:)

Here is my next papier maché project.... I am in super love with it but its not finished. I just wanted to give you a taste of what's to come:)

1 comment:

Chase Clark said...

That is so cuuute! I love the wrapped cord, I might have to take my paper lantern down and do that too!