Monday, February 21, 2011

"On the Go" Bird Game Tutorial

A few weeks ago I told you that I had discovered my new favorite person to hate (not really obviously): Made By Joel. I seriously love everything he makes for his kids and I was so inspired that I decided to make my own version of this simple toy/game he created awhile back.

What I love about this Bird Game is that it gives them enough options that they can use their creativity to come up with many different versions of a "bird." Enjoy!

Materials:
cardboard (I used the flaps of small box)
Kitchen shears (much easier to cut with than regular scissors!)
sticky velcro
acrylic paint (craft or art)
paintbrushes, cup, water
OPTIONAL (to make a bag):
2 squares of fabric (small--I used discarded t-shirt sleeves)
sew-on velcro
felt
hot glue
 1. draw out your bird (or other animal) parts.
TOP: wings (I did lots so I could paint them different colors)
MIDDLE:  legs, 2 pairs of feet, one pair of shoes, 1 eye and 2 different beaks
BOTTOM: Large wings
R. SIDE:  Body, head, eye
(here is a close up)
2. Paint all your parts! This is the fun part:)
 3. cut up your velcro pieces and place them on your bird body and parts so they can be stuck together! MAKE SURE YOU PUT ALL OF THE SOFT VELCRO ON THE BODY AND ALL THE SPIKY VELCRO ON THE PARTS (or vice versa). That way everything is interchangeable.
 (I put some pieces on the back so that feathers could stick out from behind the body as well.)
 You won't be able to resist playing with the bird yourself!
 Now for the bag.
1.Cut your letters out of felt and hot glue them on the bag leaving room on the sides for sewing.
2. you can make a little bird face too if you want (see below)
3. If you need to, fold over the top edges of your fabric to create a seam.
4. Sew on your velcro pieces so that they will match up when your bag is finished
5. With like sides together, sew the 2 pieces on 3 sides. FINISHED!

(inside of the bag)
 This is great to bring in the car, to church, or anywhere else they need to be entertained on the go!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I looooooooooove this idea! There are so many different versions you could make... I will have to get thinking.

Sarah said...

Can't wait to make this so I can have something new to entertain Izzie (and me) during church. Great tutorial!