Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"Good Things" cell phone edition.

You know how Martha always has her "Good Things" section of her magazine? well here are a few of my "good things." I just want to share them with you, even if they are totally random:)
HOW TO SAVE YOUR PHONE FROM WATER DAMAGE!!! 
A few days ago my daughter Olivia decided to swish my cell phone around in the toilet. I did not want to have to buy a new cell phone (mostly because I am holding out to see if Verizon is really going to get the iphone in January). My husband said he'd heard somewhere about a little trick for soaking all the water out of your phone, so we gave it a try!


MATERIALS:
rice
tupperware/rubbermaid, etc
water-logged phone

1. take the batter out of the phone, and open up any part that can be opened (i.e. if its a flip phone, open it, the little part that you put the charger in, make sure its open).

2. place it in the tupperware.

3. pour rice in and seal it shut.

4. wait. wait. and wait. we waited 1 day, tried it, but there were still some quirks so we put it back in for another 1/2 day and it now works perfectly fine! It had a few weird problems at first, but they seem to have worked themselves out.


You might as well try it, if it doesn't work, then you know you need a new phone, or maybe just a new battery (which only cost about $20). Hope this helps someone else save their phone!!!

9 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

I know SO MANY TODDLERS who have thrown their parents' phones into the toilet! Hilarious. So glad you rescued yours!

Jessica said...

We've saved a couple phones this way, it really works great. Unfortunately, the rice method does not work when your toddler spills coffee on your macbook pro. The only remedy for that one is about $1400. I may or may not know this from experience...

Delia said...

What???!!! That is SO cool. I am so glad you shared this. I have already lost one phone to water damage. It wasn't my toddler either. It was my toddler's sippy cup leaking in my purse! Ah!

Anne said...

I am so glad to know this! I'm always doing some sort of horrible thing or another to my phone. I'll keep this filed away for the next time I drop it in some water.

--Anne

Dana said...

I had never heard of this...but if I ever need to save my water logged phone..this will be the first thing I try! :)

susan said...

Hey Katie! So glad you saved your phone.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I doubt that Verizon will get the iPhone any time soon. Basically, Apple doesn't want to make two dramatically different versions of the iPhone for the U.S., so nothing can happen until Verizon begins to upgrade its network to a newer wireless standard called LTE (Long Term Evolution) that is also being adopted by AT&T and other carriers that today use the older GSM wireless standard. Read this for more info: http://bit.ly/9UV9Rk

Get a droid! I got one this summer and I LOVE it.

Yessi said...

a few days ago our sons sippy-cup fool of water spilled all over my husbands phone and you couldnt and we have been wondering how to fix it. So thanks to your blogwe hope it gets fixed thank you.

thursday said...

This is brilliant! I wish I had known about it last month when my boyfriend put his phone in the washer. Although - that was a good laugh (consiering he's so adament that he never does foolish things).

Anonymous said...

Someone just told me about this trick...didn't work for my phone because it fell into the bathtub and I didn't notice until the bath was done...your site is amazing though...love the tutorials. Thanks.