Thursday, September 23, 2010

"Good Things" appetizer edition.

About 4 years ago, while I was living in Utah (my husband and I were in school--he in the 5th year of his undergrad and I in a masters in teaching) I went to a classmate's party at her apartment. Someone brought this appetizer that I seriously could NOT stop eating! I think I ate half the tray. Embarrassing? nah.

I asked her for the recipe and it was so easy that I have made them more times than I can possibly remember! And they are SO good that even my 11 year old brother begs me to make them (and he is extremely picky). So now I want to pass it on to you!! Enjoy. You may just want to eat these for dinner all by themselves:)

Ingredients: 
Loaf of French or Italian bread
goat cheese (costco and trader joes have the cheapest)
garlic (minced or powdered depending on how much time you have!)
fresh basil (dried will not cut it)
1-2 red bell peppers depending on size of the pepper and size of the loaf!

1. preheat oven to broil
2. slice entire loaf
3. place each slice on a cookie sheet (you may need 2 sheets or 2 batches) (butter them if you like- I never do b/c I know I am eating about 10 of them))
4. bake until the tops are toasted (about 1. 5 min in my oven!!)
5.take them out and apply the minced garlic ( a little per slice) or sprinkle each piece with powdered garlic if you are short for time.
6. slice and and saute the red peppers in a pan of oil or pam (I use pam since its fat free).
7. spread the goat cheese on each slice, the more the better!
8. wash and tear off basil leaves, then put a few pieces on each slice of bread.
9. put a couple slices of red peppers on each slice and you are done!!

now eat one and tell me if you can stop. I am salivating just thinking about these things.

3 comments:

Mal said...

Yum! I worked in a catering kitchen in college and we made similar appetizers. Instead of peppers we used strips of sun dried tomatoes. And probably for cost we cut the goat cheese with cream cheese. I hated when we made them because I couldn't stop eating them!

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

These sound delicious! Also, I loved your Europe photos. Way to go all those places with a baby...it gives me hope. ;)

Jill said...

haha. You eat one of the trays and I'll eat the other half. I LOVE these, so Thanks for the recipe. Now it saves me the time asking you for it, or I can just have you bring them over anytime you come. YUMMERS!