Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dyed paper doilies


 A month ago I dyed a huge batch of wool felt to make my spring headbands out of (which I have yet to put on etsy since they all went to stores... sorry I'll get some on there soonish! Of course you know I always love to throw other things in the dye and so along with some of Olivia's clothes went about 100 paper doilies (from the dollar store).

I have been wanting to dye some ever since I saw an idea in M.S. magazine on putting dyed doilies on top of wrapped presents. But I might like these ideas below even more...


To dye doilies:
1.Fill a portion of a pot, tupperware, or kitchen sink with hot water (doesn't need to be too too hot).
2.Add some RIT dye
3.separate the doilies and submerge them in the water.
4.leave for about 5 min. no more (they are so thin they could disintegrate).
5.Take them out all stuck together b/c they have more strength in numbers:)
6.put them out in the sun/outside (on top of thick papertowels or something) to dry, with a rock to weigh them down.
7.Flip them over to get the other side drier, or bring them inside, separate them, and let them dry some more.
 pretty! A garland for a party, or Easter, or maybe over my baby-to-be's bed (oh P.S. ITS A GIRL)
Or the ever popular party poofs, but made with doilies!  I love the hand-dyed look too, because it would give the poofs a little more depth with varying values of color.

P.S. If you haven't entered the Shabby Apple Giveaway then do it now! only 89 entries so far, those are some good odds for winning a really cool dress! (you have lots of ways you can get multiple entries too!)

16 comments:

Tricia said...

I've got dye, and paper doilies. I will have to try this. Congrats on the girl. It will be so nice for Olivia to have a sister close in age.

erica said...

ohh you just gave me an itch to go get doilies and dye.
yay! thanks.

recently found your blog through a friend...you will love having two girls :)

Andrea said...

I think I like those ideas even more, too. Very pretty.

Emilyah said...

I wonder if my husband would be cool with me hanging doilie poofs in our room. This would be a great use for my dye.

Francesca Morgan said...

I love EVERYTHING YOU DO! You are so creative. These would look awesome mixed with the tissue paper ones.

Anonymous said...

I am loving these darling dyed doilies!! Would you mind me sharing them on my blog for my Discovering beauty post on Saturday?

Anonymous said...

How do you make the poofs?

magic and drudgery said...

Hey

I love these doily pom poms and have tried making them but they just aren't right. I've been searching the internet but I can't find a tutorial. Did you follow a tutorial?

Would love to hear back from you.

Marie xx

blueeyedfreckle said...

so sorry to confuse marie, I didn't actually make the poofs in the photos, I only made the dyed doilies, not any of the decorations! I must have forgotten to link to the original photo. I found it on pinterest awhile back. maybe look on there?

Candace said...

I have some ugly yellow doilies from the dollar store that I have been trying to decide what to do with them...this is a great idea! Just have to get the dye now. Have you ever tried food coloring? Just curious if it would work or not. ^__-

c.w.frosting said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing, just pinned this!

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

Anonymous said...

Here is a tutorial I found:
http://ritafisher.blogspot.com/2011/06/doily-pom-poms-tutorial.html

Katie said...

Hi! I found your blog through Pinterst. Thank you for posting this tutorial. I want to make them for a baby shower...XoXo

Kara Sue said...

Thank you for this! I am dying doilies for my wedding invites. I was having trouble with them falling apart as soon as they hit the dye bath. So I put the dye into a spray bottle and spray them, works like a charm!

Unknown said...

Question - what is the difference between using ritdye and food coloring? If I put baked goods on my doilies after dying them in ritdye, are they still food friendly?

Unknown said...

I love your work. I`m also making tissue paper garlands. Visit my blog: http://lemkinia.wordpress.com/