It began with a hand-me-down top from my mom's friend (and mine) Heather. I really wanted to make Olivia a new party dress, so I thought using this shirt as a base would cut down the time it took to make one.
First I cut a strip of fabric for the bottom (out of a vintage pillowcase from Goodwill). I made sure it was long enough that I could pleat the whole thing. In the end the circumfrence was still a little large compared to the shirt so I added smaller pleats to the front.
Then I pinned it to the shirt (after basting the skirt), sewed 1/4 inseam, and trimmed the excess.
Now I probably should've just sewn the hem for the bottom of the dress and been finished here, b/c I actually like it like this, but instead I kept going.
I cut out 2 sleeve shapes long enough to gather.
Then I pleated the top (you can also baste 2 lines and then pull the strings and gather)
Then I stopped taking photos, b/c I had to finish the rest during Olivia's nap the next day (this was a 2 nap project).
what I did:
1. finish the hem on the sleeves, sewed them into the dress (the sleeves don't go all the way around, there is a space on the bottom)
2.cut off the collar and sewed a ruffle collar by folding over a piece of fabric, pleating it and sewing it back on the collar-less area.
the end! and I am pondering the idea of re-naming this blog: "while you were napping" because that is the only time I have now to do projects.
PS I will be posting headbands back in my shop soonish. been a little busy with the cutest baby in the world!