Saturday, October 30, 2010
Olivia the Pig--Costume Tutorial
So here is a little tutorial. and it includes a picture-by-picture that may clarify this tutorial.
red cotton knit---something stretchy (dress)
white broadcloth or other white fabric (collar)
black felt (stars)
black and white stockings or leggings (or make your own)
black fabric or ribbon (collar/tie)
pink felt/peach felt (ears)
nose (I ordered one on amazon for 60 cents)
2. lay a shirt that fits, made out of similar fabric on top.
3. Trace it, leaving about 1/2 in or more on all sides for the inseam.
7. Pin the tube, right sides together, to the bottom edge of the top.
1. I drew out the rectangular part first (on two pieces of fabric), then made the circle a little larger than the neck of the dress. I drew out one side, and then cut and traced it onto the other side so it was symmetrical.
4.Then I turned it inside out and topstitched the whole thing, including the hole.
5. I sewed some velcro on.
6. You can use a ribbon or do what I did for the little black tie part: I sewed a tube out of black fabric and then turned it inside out an sewed the ends closed. I then tied the fabric (or black ribbon) in a knot and hand-stitched it to the collar (covering the velcro stitching).
7. cut black stars out of felt and hot glue them on the collar.
1. I cut out two long ear shapes in pink felt, and then the inner ear part out of peach felt. I then hot-glued them together, overlapped the sides of the ears (to give it more of a pig look), and then stuck them on a headband I had covered in pink.
( I dressed up as a souvenir at the last minute..... I wore souvenirs from most of the countries I have visited....it was too hard to wear them all and I had about 10 minutes to scavenge them from around the house).