Saturday, September 27, 2008
MAKE A SUITCASE TABLE FOR LESS THAN $5
1x1x8 pine (2-3)
vintage suitcase (one of the hard, solid ones)
1. Buy a vintage suitcase at a thrift store (they're cheap)
2. Buy some wood, it can be expensive and nice, but to make this cheap you can just buy 2 pieces of 1x1x8 pine (make sure you find straight pieces)
3. Have one of the salespeople cut 4 pieces to the height you need.
4. (before you get to the hardware store) measure the suitcase to determine how long the brace pieces need to be (the wood that connects the legs). Realize that the legs will be set in slightly from the edges, so factor this in when measuring.
5.Next, pre-drill the suitcase and wood "legs."
6. Screw the legs onto the suitcase through the bottom of the suitcase.
7. Screw the brace pieces to the legs with two screws so that they stabilize.
8. You've done it! Now you can paint it whatever color you choose!