I was trying to figure out how to make something that didn't add MORE busyness to the eye while still making it interesting for her to look at. So I decided to hide the fun part, and make the rest white and easy on the eye! Here is my little tutorial.
Stiff paper for base of cones (I used vinyl that I eventually removed but I suggest cardstock)
glue (elmers, pva, etc)
little cup for water/glue mix
cheap paper (notebook, copy..)
paper doilies (dollar store)
string, hooks for hanging
1. wrap paper into different sized cones and tape together
2. a)tear the cheap, thin paper (copy paper) into little squares, and mix glue and water 1:10 ratio (I didn't measure mine but I am guessing) b.) dip the papers into the glue mix and apply to the cones. do a few layers to make it strong. c)let dry over night
3.cut strips of the tissue paper about 2-3 inches wide and the entire length of the paper. zig-zag one side.
4. cut a line in-between each point of the zig-zag (you are creating the flutter!)
5. Before you do anything else you need to take your marker and draw designs inside the cones (this is the surprise! Your plain white mobile actually has lots of interesting things to look at, they are just hidden inside!)
6. hot glue the strips around and around starting at the bottom. I made some cones that had strips all the way up to the top, and some that just had a few rows at the bottom.
7. OPTIONAL: For the cones that just have flutters on the bottom, you can paint the top part of the cone. It seems unnecessary but up close it looks really nice that way.
8. sew a few strips of doilies, varying sizes. I did 3 doilies on each strip.
9. hang em up! I used thick string to hang the cones. I tied a big knot at one end, poked a hole at the top of the cone, and strung the knot so that it it was inside the cone, leaving the long string to hang it with. I used thread to hand the doily strands. (And I used "c" hooks and "eye" hooks to hang them all on the ceiling.)
This is what the baby sees........
and this is what YOU see! ahhhhhh. If anyone makes this I would love to see your version! Shoot me an email!