Thursday, March 1, 2012
Petal Lamp Shade
paper (newsprint or better)
saran-wrap or press and seal
1. our about 1/2 cup of flour into a bowl (not the bowl you are molding the lampshade on!!). Using a wisk, place the bowl under a small stream of water and wisk vigorously to combine it with the flour. when you get sludgy/gluey consistancy (it will take very little water), you can turn it off and keep wisking until its smooth.
2. cover your bowl with the saran-wrap (I used press and seal, its sooo much better).
3. dip your pieces of paper into the flour sludge and remove the excess liquid with your fingers. place the pieces on the bowl, overlapping and covering it completely. do 2-3 layers
4. let dry overnight
5. cut a hole out of the top, big enough to JUST slip the plug through.
6. Cut a whole lot of "petals" from the felt (I used wool for the cream color and acrylic for the white). Mine were about 1.5 inches long.
7. hot glue them to the paper bowl, starting at the bottom and working your way up concentrically.
I did hang it up, but couldn't get a good photo of it. I felt like you could see it better just sitting on the table:)